1)I don't believe I will ever "get over" infertility. Yes, we will have children, I know this. And our situation is not nearly as bad as others going through IF -- we're young, our diagnosis is one that's treatable, etc. But IF shows you that you are NOT always in control of your life. You can want something really badly and do EVERYTHING in your power to get it and still NOT get it. That's really disheartening and I never fully realized this before IF. I think this realization will stick with me long term.
2)It bothers me that America is SO commercialized and people are so used to eating crap, that you can rarely go to a Chinese restaurant (for example) without seeing a hamburger on the menu. Seriously? It also makes me mad when kids will only eat mac and cheese and chicken fingers...why did their parents raise them that way!?
3)When you are having a really hard time with life, why do people say "It could be worse?!" Sure, I could have cancer, I could be dying. Yes, it could be worse. But why is it ever appropriate to say this? How is that comforting?
My Facebook status the other day was "Liz has had a lot of bad luck lately." Umm...TOTALLY true. That pretty much summed up my feelings without putting a 'poor me' list of problems on facebook. Poison ivy all over my face and missing out on a 3 day weekend was fresh on my mind, almost 2 years of infertility - getting stabbed in the stomach every night, and the risk of this cycle being cancelled, a miscarraige, unhappiness at work, a million small things going wrong, not being able to plan my future, I can go on and on but that's not the point. Everyone has problems, many of them secret. I KNOW this. So the point isn't to compare our problems, but to emphatize with each other. So anyway, my uncle comments on my status: "wanna trade places ?? Lets compare our luck over the past year." Umm..let's not?! He and his wife have had health problems, and that really sucks. But let's face it, he weighs 500 pounds, I'm not sure that your health problems were LUCK related. Ok, that's mean, but TRUE! I can't even tell you how much time, energy, and money I've spent doing research and going through treatments and eating the right foods and supplements so that infertility wouldn't be something I brought on myself! vent over.
4)It makes me sad that I don't have any "real" friends down here. Yes, I have a few friends that are fun to go out with now and then, and we can have pretty real conversations. But we're in TOTALLY different life stages, so while we empathize with each other, we're not on the same level really. I need real friends like Meg around, it would be so much more fun. Luckily I'm pretty comfortable riding solo 99% of the time, but I'm realizing how hard it really is to find friends as an adult.
5)I believe that there is NO SUCH THING as an accidental pregnancy. I mean, seriously people...how uneducated are you?
6) Why do we ask each other "How are you?" and even if we're having the worst day of our lives we say "Doing well, you?" Why do we lie to each other? Why does the truth seem like too much of a burden to share?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment